Module 04 Reading Assignment and Journal Reflection
It was at first very intimidating! When they say they have over 6000 resources available for you to look at how do you pick out which one to do first?! After exploring and seeing the different topics that they offered it became a really extremely useful resource.
I found some fascinating simulations of volcanoes and plate tectonics. I had some idea of what was available when I did the ArcGIS assignment. Some of the resources that I found were so in-depth and detailed that I couldn't help but instantly save and forward their sites for use in my classroom this week! The visuals that were clear and explained the concepts of plate tectonics are going to make these lessons so much more fun for the students. I am excited to see what they think of them.
Secondary science teachers seem to have the short end of the stick. The resources that are readily available seem more geared to lower grades and middle school. While many of the resources can be used for secondary classes they seem to have a very basic coverage of the topics. The higher level science classes such as an AP course, or comparable kind of class, would be able to use it as an introductory part of the lesson or even just use the visuals to reinforce ideas. As a whole though the majority seems to be tailored for middle school. Which is great for me!
So honesty time. I had trouble finding the SWH. So I took one of the examples and redid it entirely for the my topic but used it as a guide line. I enjoyed writing it actually. Looking at different parts of the simulations for the students got me excited not only about volcanoes (my topic for the lesson), but also about the cool simulations I got to find. I am excited to show it with my students and see what they can do with it.
Comments
Post a Comment